- Premium Grade Quality with Long Strands
- Pure and All-Natural (No Chemical Added)
- Ideal Growing Media for Orchids and Terrarium Plants
- Pet Bedding for Reptilian Pets
- May be used a lining for hanging pots
WHAT IS SPHAGNUM MOSS?
The phrase "sphagnum moss" refers to a large genus of moss. They are harvested and dried and used in gardening for growing media or soil amendment. Sphagnum moss is collected from still-living moss, and then dried after harvesting. Longer strands are more premium in quality and are prized for their ability to retain moisture longer.
Sphagnum moss can be used for the following purposes:
- planting medium for orchids
- potting soil amendment
- lining for baskets
- bedding for pets, particularly reptiles
- filler or topping for terrarium and indoor potted plants
- arts and crafts purposes
Sphagnum Moss vs. Peat Moss
Peat moss is harvested by collecting the dead moss debris from the bottom of bogs and wetlands where the sphagnum moss grows. This makes it extremely rich in organic nutrients.
Sphagnum moss on the other hand is collected from still-living moss on the surface of bogs and wetlands. Chunks of still-living moss are collected and then dried after harvesting.
Sphagnum moss is considered more sustainable and environment-friendly than peat moss. Peat moss can take centuries to develop and be ready for harvest.