- Premium quality
- Horticultural grade
- Ideal for plants that do not require a very moist media, like Cactus
- Retains less moisture than vermiculite
- Non-toxic, odorless, sterile and pH neutral
- Does not deteriorate or decompose
- Super lightweight and porous
- Improves aeration, increases drainage capability
- Can be mixed with any potting media
- 900ml per pack (approx. 95-100g per pack)
Important note: Please do not confuse liter with kilogram as a measurement for volume. We package this product by the mililiter (ml). Since perlite is super light, 900ml of this product translates to approximately 95 to 100 grams only.
WHAT IS HORTICULTURAL PERLITE?
Perlite is a volcanic glass that is heated to 1,600 degrees F. (871 C.) whereupon it pops much like popcorn and expands to 13 times its former size, resulting in an incredibly lightweight material. The super heated perlite is comprised of tiny air compartments.
While both perlite and vermiculite aid in water retention, perlite is the more porous and tends to allow water to drain much more readily than vermiculite. As such, it is a more suitable addition to soils utilized with plants that do not require very moist media, such as cactus soils, or for plants which generally thrive in well-draining soil.
You may still use a conventional potting soil that contains perlite; however, you may need to monitor watering more frequently than those made up of vermiculite. When growing plants in perlite, be aware that it may cause fluoride burn, which appears as brown tips on houseplants. It also needs to be moistened prior to use to reduce dust.
HORTICULTURAL USES OF PERLITE
- Used in soil mixes (including soilless mediums) to improve aeration
- Prevents compaction in claying soils, allowing oxygen to flow freely
- Ideal soil additive for cactus and succulents, and other plants that require a well-draining potting media
- Can be used in rooting cuttings, whether mixed with coco peat, potting media or used alone
- In hydroponics, it can be used as anchor to support root growth
- As a topping for potted plants, scatter perlite on the surface of the soil· Mix perlite with potting mix or garden soil to improve soil aeration or prevent water clogging.
- For seed transplanting or propagation of cuttings, soak perlite in water for at least 2 hours, and then use the pre-soaked perlite in place of soil or potting mix.
- To store, open the package to air out.
- Keep lightly sealed and store in a dry place until ready to use.
- This product should not be ingested. Keep out of children’s reach. Avoid direct contact with eyes or skin. Dusts may cause allergic reaction on sensitive skin.
To avail of various shipping promos and product discounts, you may check our online shops in: